Macro Photography – an Interview with Don Komarechka
I’ve got something fun and interesting for you today, an interview with macro photographer Don Komarechka. I first saw his work on Google Plus and found his work so fascinating I approached him and asked if he’d do an interview and give us some of his secrets to his stunning macro photography.
Don Komarechka – macro photographer
If you want to learn how to make images like these watch the video below, and continue to read to the bottom of the page. I’ll provide links to Don’s web site and some of the things we discuss in the video. I’ve got a special surprise this month, on the macro theme, if you choose to participate. But watch the video first, no peaking!
Watch the video below now!
How to find Don Komarechka online
- Don’s web site
- Don’s blog
- Sky Crystals - see more of his macro snowflake images, and buy prints
- Don on Google Plus
- Don on Facebook
- Join Don’s new Macro Photography community on Google plus to discuss macro photography and share images.
Links to some of the equipment we discussed
If you’re interested in macro photography, here are links to some of the items Don mentioned in the interview, just in case you didn’t get to joy them all down.
- Canon MP-E 65mm 1-5 macro lens
- Kenko extension tubes
- Close-Up filters
- Macro focusing rails tripod insert, this is just one options, there are others on the market. I just wanted to show you something like this in case you’re tripod inclined more so than Don.
- Outdoor Photography Canada magazine featuring Don’s image of the world in a water droplet on the cover! (December 2012)
- More on polarising filters (to get rid of reflections)
Action plan and prize give away!
- Make sure you are a subscriber to Her View Photography (you must be a subscriber to win) If you haven’t already subscribed and gotten my FREE ebook, you can do so at the bottom of this article, look for the big green box!
- Go shoot some macro photos and post a link to your best image in the comments below. Tell us what challenges you had and how to made your shot. Let’s do this together.
- Enter your image by January 10th, 2013 and I’ll see that the winner will get a set of Don’s Snowflake Greeting cards shipped to you. (Canada and US shipping only please, if you live elsewhere we cannot guarantee shipping). Please make sure you use a valid email address so I can contact you if you are the winner.
If you loved this article, please remember to share the love – use the social media links below and share away!
And the winner is…
The winner of the prize draw for a set of Don’s snowflake greeting cards is . . . Laura! I’ll be in touch to get you your prize! Thanks for commenting and participating.
Update April 4th
Don is running a campaign to raise funds to get a large 300 page hardcover book printed. It goes into much more detail on how he creates his stunning snowflake images and for a donation of only $35 (or more!) you can help get this project funded AND get a copy of the book! How often can you say you were part of making something a reality? I just put in my $35 bucks, why not join me!?
What you get when you sign up
- notices of new weekly photography articles, how to’s, tips and tricks, interviews and reviews
- a monthly newsletter with a secret tip just for you that’s not on the web site
- the FREE ebook 10 Photography Challenges to help you take better pictures
- links to more bonus free stuff once you get the first email
- information on upcoming travel photography tours and workshops