Interview With Jay & Varina Patel – Landscape Photographers Extraordinaire
This week I have the great honour of talking with two landscape photographers whose work I have admired from afar for a while now on Google Plus, and they were gracious enough to join me for a chat about their work. Their nature and landscape photography is highly regarded as some of the best in the business, and they are respected by their peers.
Varina and Jay Patel landscape and wilderness photographers and educators
Varina and Jay Patel are wilderness and nature photographers, prolific writers, and highly-regarded photography instructors. They have collaborated to write a series of eBooks on a wide range of topics pertaining to photography, and their award-winning photographs have been published around the world. Varina and Jay travel frequently – shooting in beautiful and remote locations across the globe.
Some of the things we talk about in the interview:
- their backgrounds in photography
- some of their favourite images and the stories behind them (two really cool stories)
- where are the best scenes found
- seeing the light
- creating mood
- post processing to match your vision (Jay does one image as an example)
- pros and cons of formal photography training vs self taught
- the business of photography
- how to get started in stock photography
- how to shoot landscape photos for microstock – some tips
- UV filters, to use them or not?
- using other filters
- how much post processing to do and how important is is for final image
- taking care in the field saves time post processing
- their unique method of doing HDR
Enjoy the video and then scroll down to see all the links we mention in the interview and more of their stunning landscape photography.
Links mentioned during the interview with Jay and Varina
Photo How To eBooks by Jay and Varina
Many of their ebooks are absolutely FREE and are full of their inspirational photography, others are a bargain at only $6. The books cover photography topics such as:
- masks 101
- following the light
- death valley
- hiking and photographing Hawaii
- … much more
They also have an entire series on photography workflow for image processing including:
Find out more about their books on their photo how to books page.
Download them and enjoy – I did!
What you get when you sign up
- notices of new weekly photography articles, how to’s, tips and tricks, interviews and reviews
- a monthly newsletter with a secret tip just for you that’s not on the web site
- the FREE ebook 10 Photography Challenges to help you take better pictures
- links to more bonus free stuff once you get the first email
- information on upcoming travel photography tours and workshops