About Darlene and Her View Photography
Welcome to Her View Photography, thanks for stopping by!
My name is Darlene Hildebrandt
Ever wished you could learn to take better pictures?
Maybe you’ve tried to become a better photographer, but . . .
- You’re frustrated that your photos don’t turn out the way you want and you can’t figure out why . . .
- You don’t have time for a traditional class between your crazy work hours, time with family, and life in general . . .
- You’ve seen ads for classes that sound interesting but they’re all too far away . . .
- Some instructors you’ve had have moved too fast, leaving you to sit and suffer silently, and learn nothing in class . . .
- You feel you are too “mature” to learn something new or don’t want to look foolish . . .
- You’ve spent a lot of money on a good camera, but digital photography is just too confusing, and you’re afraid you made the wrong choice . . .
- You’ve tried some classes but feel like they never cover exactly what you’re missing, or answer that specific question you have that no one seems to ever ask . . .
If you can relate, this site is for you!
Through my experience working with people just like you—helping them learn how to use their cameras, troubleshooting and solving their problems; and going out with them on workshops and tours—I’ve come to understand that many aspiring photographers have a lot of the same questions, issues and even fears.
I feel your pain, and I’m here to help!
Through regular articles written by me, and selectively chosen guest authors, you’ll get step by step information on the challenges you’re most interesting in overcoming.
Tell me what you most want to learn (fill in this survey) – I will listen and react.
Topics including the ones below, are just some of the things you can read about here. The list is constantly expanding as 3-4 new articles are added every month.
- using aperture for controlling depth of field
- creating texture in your images
- using shutter speed to freeze motion
- better travel photos
- using available light for people photography
How is this site different from others like it?
There are probably hundreds of sites about learning photography. This site is different because of . . . well, frankly—me! My aim with this site is to be approachable and responsive to your needs. Tell me what you want to know, and if I don’t know the answer, I’ll do my best to find a guest writer that does. Post a comment on an article, or ask a question and I will answer it, usually within 48 hours. Tweet me, Facebook me, Google+ me, and I will get back to you.
I am a real person, and a real photographer with over 25 years of experience as a professional. I can help!
Photography is magic to me, it always has been. I love sharing it and seeing others like you feel the magic too! – Darlene
But first and foremost I LOVE seeing the light bulbs go off, and I live vicariously through your eyes as you achieve your photography goals. I love the win/win it creates as you get to express the creativity that perhaps you didn’t even know you had—and I get to experience photography anew, through the passion and wide eyed wonder of someone new to the art.
Just writing this makes me all giddy inside!
Who am I?
(And where do I get off telling you how to take better photos?)
I am the face behind Her View Photography. I have been a professional photographer for over 25 years, and as such have photographed everything from soup to hay (literally—doing food photography); weddings; family portraits; corporate events and products.
After a forced change of direction (a.k.a. divorce), I left my photography studio behind and moved on to other aspects of photography—including sales, fine art, and travel. I’ve finally landed on teaching and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve written for and have been published on websites and in newspapers around the world.
I teach several workshop style classes in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada including:
- Travel Photography – how to get better photos on your next trip
- Night Photography – a very popular class that often includes a field trip
- Available Light Photography – learn about using natural light for better people photos
- HDR Photography – advanced technique combining multiple images into one for an artistic detailed image
Photo Travel Tour Leader:
Managing Editor of Digital Photography School:
After writing for Digital Photography School for nearly 2 years, I am now the Managing Editor.
I have been featured on these sites or businesses
- I am a regular co-host on the TWiP (This Week in Photo) podcast. Episode I have participated in include #298, #300, #302 and #338
Other sites I’ve been featured on:
- Interview with HDR guru Trey Ratcliff of Stuck in Customs
- Good Sam Highways Magazine – article featuring her photography and story of 6 month RV trip
- Dwight, IL newspaper – article showcasing her photography and trip through theDwight area and the calendar she created from the images.
- Art Trends magazine – featured her photography
- Night of Artists Magazine – story about her trip to Peru and featured her photography
What people are saying about Her View Photography
I am glad you take the time to write and circulate the articles. I do read each one and do learn new things from each one you have circulated. – D. Sulyma
Looks like this was a great workshop. Loved your writeup here and the tips you provided. Now I’ll have to get out and try some of them. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. – M. Koenig
As a newbie in the world of Photography, I was pleased with results I was getting, but still felt that there was something more I could be doing to take my art to a new level. I was fortunate to spend some time with Darlene where she took me from one end of the spectrum – from technical information about my camera, explaining different techniques, theories and practices with me – to shooting, scouting, post production, touch ups and software tips and tricks. In our one-on-one tutoring session we worked together through some of my photographs. – Z. Hinton
She (Darlene) is very helpful with her suggestions and makes it easy to have fun while taking pictures. She has been in the industry for a long time is very knowledgeable giving feed back to improve your ability to take pictures. She is great at giving recommendations for equipment to use and how to get the best use out of your camera but most of all she makes taking pictures fun. – P. Mah
My personal vision
My vision is to share my artistic talents by teaching “the art of seeing” through photography. I strive to provide a chance to experience far away places in a new way, allowing a better understanding of the world. That which we understand, we cannot hate. That may sound corny or grandiose (hopefully not) but my personal mission is to spread love and understanding in the world, through photography and travel.
Will you join me? Take the first step by signing up below. You’ll receive instant access to the free ebook “10 Challenges to improve your photography”, and you’ll get email updates from me whenever a new article is added to this site.
Simply enter your name and email below and click “Get it now!” . . . And let’s start changing the world together through photography!